Wednesday, September 26, 2007

881: The Papaya Sister

Movie plot: "The Papaya Sisters" tells the story of two childhood friends who grew up mesmerised by the glitz and glamour of 'Getai' and dream of one day performing on the 'Getai' stage. After being blessed by the Goddess of 'Getai', they become the most sought-after pair of 'Getai' singers ever. Unbeknownst to them, rival sister group The Durian Sisters have become intensely jealous of the Papayas' success, and are determined to trip them up by messing with their schedule. With the help of their gangster Godfather, the Durians succeed in shutting the Papayas out of many 'Getai' performances. Await the musical battle where both sides pull out all the stops to win over the audience!
.
Went to watch this show with my family about a week ago. Frankly speaking, amidst all the hypes reported by the newspaper saying how good this show was, I decided to keep my expectation low when I entered the cinema. After going through 110 minutes of the show, I say that the whole movie is totally crap and not worth watching at all. Though it speaks mostly of Hokkien, and attempts to mimic Moulin Rouge style of filming, it totally lost at its plot. It got to the point that it just irritates me to continue watching. The only good point I find in this show is their massive usage of Getai songs. It kinds of reminds me when I am a child, listening to those Hokkien songs played by my parents. Well, what to do? 怀旧嘛。。。
.
Rate: 1.5/5

No comments: